Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Life

Life in Kansas is DIFFERENT! I keep walking around just saying everything is so different here. Really there is nothing similar to California. Some examples of differences include:
  • There is no traffic. Literally we took Ally to the airport at 5pm in Kansas City and there was no traffic. Love it.
  • People are obsessed and I mean obsessed with their sports, specifically KU. Every store you go in here whether it be WalMart, a furniture store, 5 guys, whatever at least 50% of the people have some sort of KU gear on. Don't even get me started on how many stores sell KU gear.
  • There are four way stops that only have stop signs on 2 sides. The next block it changes. Uhh ok.
  • It is so hot here! Temecula (my home town) gets hot but not this hot. Today its 102 with a heat index of 110. Nope not leaving the house.
  • The thunderstorms. Oh my the thunderstorms. The first night I stayed in my house alone there was a huge thunderstorm. I was extremely freaked out and really thought it was just because I was a Cali girl. Come to find out it was the worst of the season. 70mph winds...not good.
  • People in stores are so friendly. They genuinely want to talk to you, help you out, whatever you need. Its refreshing.
  • Also, I have a basement in my house. Never ever have I had one of those.
Well that was quick update for you all. I will write more this week, especially about classes, clinic, and my new home.

Here are a few pics from our day trip in Kansas City. I have to drive there (about 45 min) for class 2x a week. Kinda sucks.

Last night my roommates (the two sitting on either side of the guy) took me to a local bar called Sandbar. It was a great place full of fun fruity drinks (my kind of place). Anyways, we're sitting there chatting and all of a sudden my roommate starts freaking out when these two extremely tall guys walk in. I of course have no idea who they are. Well turns out this guy is Nick Collison and he used to play for KU and now plays in the NBA. And then there was another guy with him, Scot Pollard, who was also a big time KU player. It was a very big deal for them. Again I felt clueless but hey I got to meet a local celebrity. And he's definitely not too bad to look at either =)

Lauren

1 comment:

  1. these pictures turned out great! love them and your beautiful kansas city.

    ReplyDelete